Home design has been evolving for centuries. It’s not just about aesthetics anymore, but also about creating a space that is functional and fulfills the needs of its occupants. This is why it’s so important to have an understanding of what makes a good designer. Aspiring designers should be aware of the scope of home designing before pursuing this career path.
What is Home Designing?
Home designing, home redesigning, or home remodeling are some of the terms that are used in referring to interior design. Interiors are created for both residential and commercial purposes. This is done through either renovation or house construction projects. The outcome will be an attractive dwelling space that meets the homeowner’s preferences and needs. Projects can range from simple additions to more complex renovations involving structural changes to a building.
Scope of Home Designing
The scope of home design depends on the nature of the project, which includes: Kitchen Remodeling
Porches and Patios
Basement Renovation as well as general home design.
How to Become a Home Designer?
If you wish to become a home designer, the following are required:
1) A degree in interior design from an accredited 3-year program from a school approved by the National Association of Schools of Art and Design (NASAD). Completion of coursework in all areas of interior designing like foundation courses like color theory, geometry, and composition; Structural Design; Site Planning & Climate for exterior architecture; Principles and Elements of Human Experience, History and Development; Interior Systems, Codes, and Regulations; Environmental Issues relating to the Interior-Environment.
2) A degree in Architecture from an accredited 4-year program from a school approved by the National Architectural Accrediting Board (NAAB).
3) A degree in Interior Design Education.
4) Training in CAD/BIM Drafting or an Associate’s Degree in Drafting Technology for drafting purposes is required.
5) Professional certification from NCIDQ (National Council for Interior Design Qualifications) with licensure to practice interior design, without which there are limitations for one to be called an interior designer.
6) Work Experience of 2 years or more with the ability to provide a portfolio of interior designs done is required.
7) Proficiency in AutoCAD, SketchUp, and Photoshop are expected skills. Demonstrable ability to work independently, lead teams, and communicate effectively with clients, employees and other professionals is required.
Qualities of a Good Home Designer!
The following are the qualities of good home designers which include:
1) Knowledge of codes like the International Building Code (IBC) and International Residential Code (IRC).
2) Ability to work well in teams; be able to lead teams; demonstrate leadership qualities; ability to work independently; one must be able to handle criticism well.
3) Problem-solving skills, creative thinking skills, imagination and creativity, decision-making skills, presentable/approachable personality with excellent written & oral communication skills.
4) Must be able to get along well with people especially employer(s), and stakeholders and must possess excellent time-management skills.
5) Must be able to produce high-quality work consistently while adhering to deadlines and working under pressure with some projects short while others are of long duration.
6) Flexible, patient, and able to handle stress well.
7) Willingness to learn new things or take training courses that will help in one’s development as an interior designer is required
Different Types of Projects in Home Designing
Determining the style of home you want
Designing an open floor plan or split level
What design trends are popular in your area?
Home designers vs interior decorators.
Designing a garage
Types of Project:
Full house renovation project offering design and construction drawings
Interior design only renovates any room in the home to your specifications for an existing or new client. Or create a whole new concept for your client’s home.
A smaller interior design project such as designing just one room in a house.
Education and Experience Needed to Become a Home Designer:
Home designers usually have at least a bachelor’s degree in interior design or drafting and must meet state licensing requirements before they can obtain licensure or certification, which may better prepare them for this occupation. Some states require professional certification for the profession of home designer. There are no specific courses required to become a home designer. However, some graduate programs offer degrees in interior design or drafting that may help interested individuals gain the necessary skills to enter this field. Most professionals have earned a bachelor’s degree in interior design.
An associate degree is not typically considered sufficient education for this occupation because it does not usually prepare students sufficiently to work with clients and contractors who are involved in designing homes.
Some high school or postsecondary courses in art or architectural drawing may help some people get started; however, more of these courses would be needed before actually entering the profession of home design.
Career Paths for the Field of Architecture and Interior Design
Career paths for the field of architecture and interior design include:
Commercial/residential appraiser (for real estate)
Real estate agent
Real estate developer
Historic preservation specialist
Career paths for the field of art include:
Fine artist (painter)
Graphic artist (graphics to be used in design presentations)
Craftsman (for restoration of existing pieces or creation of new ones)
What Does an Architect or Interior Designer Do daily A Weekday and Yearly Basis?
An architect or interior designer will complete a variety of tasks daily, including envisioning spaces and the design of a house. They will also work to create blueprints that can be used by contractors to build homes. On a weekday, an architect or interior designer may draft general specifications about different aspects of their business, such as residential or commercial building codes, regulations, standards of practice for designing buildings, and regulations that govern how buildings are built. Lastly, at the end of the week, they may consult with other architects on projects they are working on to help them develop their ideas.
Salary Range for Architects and Interior Designers
The range for a typical Interior Designer’s salary can vary from $32,000 to $120,000 per year. For an Architect, the salary is on average around $87,000.
Why become a home designer?
If you have a creative mind and enjoy working with others, a career as a home designer might be something to consider. Home designers create plans for homes, from the floor plan to the exterior of the house. Sometimes they are called architects, interior designers, or drafters depending on their area of expertise. To become a home designer one needs an education that covers many aspects of design such as sketching, computer-aided design (CAD), and drawing. Once qualified by having completed your studies you will need to find employment within architecture firms or construction companies to get experience building your skills in creating sketches and other types of drawings used in designing homes.
Resources for Becoming an Architect or Interior Designer
To become a home designer, there are a few things you’ll need to do. First off, you’ll need to take a look at your schedule and figure out how much time you can commit to the job each day. You must be realistic about what hours you have available for this type of work.
Next, choose a specific area in which you would like to work. For example, if you find yourself preferring working with residential design, but not commercial design, this will be an easy decision for you. If on the other hand, either one would work for your schedule and interests alike, then perhaps choosing is more difficult.
Developing a portfolio of your past work is also an important job to complete. If you are wanting to work with residential design, you will need to begin collecting pictures of homes that inspire you. If home designing is something that has always interested you, then this may be an easy task for you.
If however, your passion for interior design is new and it’s taking some time to find inspiration in the form of photos or images of homes that speak to you, there are numerous resources out there on the Internet where these can be found.
As far as actual schooling goes, most students who study architecture spend four years at a university or college studying their craft before they graduate. This course generally includes two years of classroom learning followed by two years working under the supervision of experienced architects.
Most architects are required to take continuing education courses when they become members of the American Institute of Architects. This will keep them up-to-date on new laws and technology that may affect their work.
It is never too early to start thinking about the next step in your career. Becoming a home designer can be an incredible opportunity for those who are interested in this field. Not only do you get to design beautiful homes, but it’s also one of the most rewarding careers out there because you see just how much joy and comfort your work brings people! Designing homes can take many forms, including remodeling or designing new concepts that come straight from your imagination. This article has given you all sorts of tips on what steps to take before becoming a home designer so don’t hesitate any longer!